Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Star Shard Week: Minstrels' Song

There may be minor spoilers for some parts of the story during Star Shard Week.

Welcome to Day Three of Star Shard Week! This is a bonus post to make up for posting Day Three so late! Scroll down to read about the development of the title treatment for "The Star Shard."
Don't forget to check out The Star Shard author Frederic S. Durbin's companion posts over on his blog.

During the year I worked on illustrations for "The Star Shard," there were a few times I came across new characters that needed to be developed visually before I was ready to commit to a finished illustration. I did some loose sketches similar to my earlier character concept drawings to determine each character's costume, personality and body language. I also sketched a number of ideas for Cymbril's dresses.


Cymbril had several wardrobe changes throughout the story.

In Part 8 of "The Star Shard," Cymbril meets the lively traveling minstrels, Argent and Bobbin.


Head and costume studies for Argent.
I was asked to tone down Argent's goatee, since my art director felt it made him look a bit too old.

No! I inadvertently drew the Dreamworks Face!


Head and costume studies for Bobbin.


Argent, Cymbril and Bobbin entertain the people of Deepdike.
Thanks for reading, and don't forget to stop by for Day Four of Star Shard Week!

The Star Shard, by Frederic S. Durbin, is a fantasy adventure story about Cymbril, a girl on a journey of self-discovery.

No comments: