Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maurice Sendak: 1928-2012

More sad news from the art world. Maurice Sendak, beloved artist and author, died today at the age of 83.


Maurice Sendak had the unique ability to tap into the imaginary life of children through his lively characters and dreamlike imagery. Some of my earliest memories of reading (and of being read to) are of his books Chicken Soup with Rice and Pierre: A Cautionary Tale. I remember fondly the illustrations, the catchy rhymes, and even the sensation of holding those little hardcover books in my hands.

It would be difficult to find a person–child or adult–whose connection to art or reading has not been impacted by Mr. Sendak's work. I'm sure my attraction to drawing at a young age was due in some part to his beautiful illustrations in the books I read as a little girl.

I'm guessing he would have been annoyed by my descriptions of his character with my poor prose, so I'll step aside now and allow Mr. Sendak to speak for himself by sharing some recent interviews.

A hilarious interview of Maurice Sendak by Stephen Colbert, in two parts. I have watched this over and over:
Grim Colberty Tales with Maurice Sendak Part 1
Grim Colberty Tales with Maurice Sendak Part 2

A preview video for Spike Jonze's short documentary on Maurice Sendak:
Tell Them Anything You Want

My earlier blog post on Mr. Sendak with a link to a moving Fresh Air Interview:
Maurice Sendak Fresh Air Interview

My sincere condolences to Mr. Sendak's friends and loved ones.

No comments: